When the snow and ice starts accumulating, you may want to think twice about throwing down the rock salt. Salts dissolve the surface of melted snow and ice and help keep us safer from slip and falls, but contact with paw pads can cause skin to dry and crack, and can cause irritation.
Worse than skin irritation, ingesting (eating or licking) rock salt directly or off paws or from melted puddles of snow can cause major issues. Salts can irritate the stomach, leading to vomiting, diarrhea, and GI discomfort. In large amounts, salts can cause neurological issues such as seizures, lethargy, disorientation, and death in extreme cases.
Keep yourself and your pets safe this winter season.
Happy Holidays from South Windsor Animal Hospital!
Information provided from:
Veterinary Information Network
BluePearl Veterinary Partners Newsletter
South Windsor Animal Hospital
Find us here:
For after-hours emergencies, please call:
We use 3 different types of cookies on our website. You can say which ones you're happy for us to use below.
These cookies do things like keep the website secure. They always need to be on.